jade ed gypsy

Monday, November 07, 2005

Sing it like you mean it.

Last week at work was hell. So on Friday night I decided that karaoke was called for. I phoned my favorite karaoke buddies, Jag and the other J guy and made plans. Now, you need to understand that this is a fairly recent pleasure for me. The first time I sang karaoke I was so scared I sang facing the rear monitor with my back to the audience, hands shaking in the grip of a powerful fear. This went on for some time. It had been a long time since I sang in public. In high-school I never got cast in the musicals which led me to believe that I cannot sing. Looking back, I think it was more that I can't dance, and I was competing against Audra McDonald who has since won 3 (4, 5?) Tony's on Broadway.
Anyway, Tokyo Gardens ain't broadway and those giant Saporos and couple of good men go along way to relaxing a girl. I think I sang 11 songs! The songs I remember singing are:
My staples: *Tracy Chapman's "Gimme One Reason." *Nick Gilder's "Hot Child in the City." Back up vocals (pleeeeease, pleeeeeease:) for the other J guy on *Stealers Wheels' "Stuck in the Middle with You." *Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama." *REO Speedwagon's "Take it on the Run."
Some new ones: *Semi-sonic's "Secret Smile"- that is one boring karaoke song, won't try that again. *The Police's "De Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da" *The Beatle's "Let it Be"- with my friend Cynthia who showed up late into the night. *Quarter Flash's "Harden my Heart."
And 2 requests- *Pat Benetar's "Love is a Battlefield" (Yeah, it sure as hell is.) and *Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide."
My head was achin' at work on Saturday morning, but it was worth it, cuz' Damn that was fun!
So what do you all like to sing for karaoke, if you dare?

6 Were Jade Ed :

  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Lelly said…

    I am rarely brave enough to sing karaoke, but when I do its always with other gals and its ALWAYS Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive'
    (I am a closet gay manI tell ya!)

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger airplanejayne said…

    okay - if I gotta sing karaoke, I guess I'd wanna do:
    Love child
    Chain of Fools
    Landslide
    Trying to find Atlantis (good country song....really)

    oh, and btw -- you've been tagged (go to my site and see rules!)

    APj

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger jade ed girl said…

    Oh yes, forget to mention- invited my favorite J- girl too, but she declined. Next time I'll not take "No" for an answer.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger airplanejayne said…

    Wow!!

    now I'm "J-girrrrl?"

    okay - thought of 'nother song: Dock of the Bay!

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger lecram sinun said…

    You've been tagged. Come over to my blog to see what for. Cheers!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Maverick said…

    OH, I LOVE karaoke!! "Hot Child in the City." is a gret song, too!


    Spitting in a Wishing Well

     

Post a Comment

<< Home