jade ed gypsy

Monday, May 09, 2005

Justified?

So it happened like this. I'm at work on Friday, and go to visit the loo. Another co-worker is in there as well. A woman enters with a crying child. Co-worker exits. Woman apparently does not know I am there and begins to beat the child. Child is pleading "please don't beat me again" and I can hear this woman wailing on the kid. I quickly come out of the stall, surprising this woman who has her arm drawn back, hand in a fist. Without thinking I say, in a surprisingly calm voice, "Hit this child again, and I will kick your ass." I then turned my back on her and proceeded to wash my hands. She says "I'm just disciplining him." to which I reply, "That is not discipline, it's abuse and it's unacceptable." I dry my hands and exit the loo.
I'm pretty shook up, cuz this kid broke my heart. And I've just both honored and violated my own code of ethics. Honored, because I believe that protecting children is the responsibilty of every human being on the planet. Violated, because I am truly a pacifist and using violence or even the threat of violence is not who I am. Conundrum.
This woman has the audacity to complain about me to my supervisor, the manager of the pet store my hospital is in and the corporate offices of both businesses.
I find out tomorrow if I will be written up, suspended or terminated for my actions. The only certain thing is that I will be punished.
I figure either way, something good has to come of this, right? It can't be a karma strike against me.
I may soon be joining the ranks of the unemployed, but hey that'll make four of us, won't it. At least I'll be in good company. Deserted island anyone?

5 Were Jade Ed :

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger airplanejayne said…

    don't think you should be punished at all! (oughta be rewarded or honored)
    possible suggestions:
    if you lose your job, call CH47 "On Your Side." Don't think Pet Store and/or hospital wants to be seen as condoning child abuse.
    if the woman voiced a complaint, her name/etc. should be on file. You may want to contact CPS - that child may still be in danger.
    Regardless of what happens, you know you did the right thing. So the karma will come back around to benefit you...
    Too bad we can't spay people...
    APj

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger lecram sinun said…

    Yeah Jade... ya did good.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger vertebrate said…

    Too many of us stand by helplessly. Good for you, Jade. Listen to airplane.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger airplanejayne said…

    Hey Jade--
    what was the outcome? Do I need to get a sign and come march in front of store? Let me know...
    APj

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger jade ed girl said…

    OUTCOME:
    I went in to work yesterday and was sent home, with pay, for the day to think about my actions. It was my decision to either 'leave the practice' or, make a "100% commitment" to changing by behavior. yada, yada, sent to my room.. blah..blah..blah. Spent the afternoon playing in the garden with Bodhi (my dog) and Veruca (my cat).
    Went back this AM with my required written "commitment" which I am quite sure no one at the corporate office will read carefully enough to realize that I have not appologized for my actions.
    Thanks for the support- you guys rock!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home