jade ed gypsy

Sunday, April 09, 2006

getting through

"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."--Sydney Smith

Yesterday was my dad's 74th birthday. Today my brother and I are making dinner for him and some family.

Today I will try to remember....

I cannot make my Mom well, but I can make her smile.

I cannot take away my Dad's bitterness, but I can sweeten his day by making his favorite cake.

I cannot make my Brother let go of his pain from our childhood, but I can sit next to him at dinner and remind him that he is not alone.

Today I will do what I can... and be content with that.

4 Were Jade Ed :

  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger ScarySquirrelMan said…

    and that's all any of us can do for one another on almost any given day. do it and you will sleep well.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger lecram sinun said…

    You are a good sister and daughter.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger airplanejayne said…

    happy birthday to your Dad.

    I like the Smith quote -- reminds me that I must do whatever I can, however insignificant I feel "it" is....it's always more than if I did nothing.


    I will see you when I return from Nebraska.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Lelly said…

    Families eh!...I have pretty much the same issues wih mine, but you just gotta do what you can. Good on yer Jade!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home